Mexican Law/Paternity


I lived in Mexico with my ex.  She had a 3 year old daughter when I met her.  We then had a daughter 3 years later.  She tricked me into signing the birth certificate of the three year old and is now living in the United States. She is trying to get me to be declared her childs bilogical father and saying since I signed the birth certificate by Mexican law I am the father.  Is this true?  Help I go to court on Friday.

Hi Tony,

You say you are going to court on Friday. Is that in the US or in Mexico?
What State in Mexico was the baby born?

To make a long story short, under Mexican law, with a DNA test, you can legally "un-recognize" the daughter. Exactly how you would do that depends the Civil Code (Código Civil) in the Mexican state where the child was born.

If you think it is necessary, I could draft a legal brief for you.

My cel phone from the States is: 011 52 1 271 125 2872

From Mexico, its simply 271 125 2872.



Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.