Mexican Law/Deed on Mothers house

Question
Hope you can help me.  It has taken over 2 years to have my name and my siblings names put on my mothers house deed.  She passed away 2 years ago.  I now want to sell the house and the attorney says the cost for the name change is $68,000.00 dollars.  Really?  We feel stuck because we cannot sell the house until we get this deed.  Does it usually take 2 years?  Is it usually so expensive? Thanks for your time.
Norma Hilliard

Answer
Hi Norma,

I assume that the 2 years is the time it took to do probate before a Judge. I also assume that the $68,000 dollar figure is what you would have to pay to a Notario to put the house in the name of you and your siblings based on the judicial resolution which resolved the estate of your mother.

In Mexico, Notario's typically charge a percentage of the value of the home for thier fee. There is also a transfer tax and other miscelaneous fees. The transfer tax is a local tax and is typically around 1%. There is no inheritance tax in Mexico.

The fee that a Notario charges is negotiable. It can be as high as 20%. I would imagine that the lawyer is quoting you a 20% fee which would put the value of the house at around $250,000 or something between 3 and 4 million pesos.

If I were you, I would shop around. If any of my assumptions are incorrect, feel free to follow up.

John  

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward