Mexican Law/property inherritance

QUESTION: my father owned property in mexico and he past away about 10 years ago.  the property is still in his name.  there was no will or trust.  my mother is alive and so are 3 adult children. my mother and father were not married in mexico but they were married in the u.s.  who does the property belong to?  does it go to my mother or to all of us?  how can we get the property put into her name or our names?

ANSWER: Hello.

That depends of specific marriage status: Common goods or separate goods.

If common goods, all is for she.

If separate goods, all is for all family.

Any doubt, let me know it please.

Thank you very much for visiting me at

QUESTION: He owned the house before they were married.  I am assuming that means separate goods.  So, are you saying in that case, the whole family, mom and the 3 kids own the property together and it is split 4 ways.  Right?

Hello again.

Well, first, you must to read the marriage certificate.

Usually, yes, you are right. But you must review previously any will, marriage certificate and any other children or family of him.

I'm at your service.

Thank you very much for visiting me at  

Mexican Law

L. A. G. M.

Mexican Attorney Graduated from National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL AUTONOMA DE MEXICO) LL.M (in progress) International Consultant since 1999. Who's Who Historical Society (U. S.) Member (Membership: 5509192). Business Administrator. Graduated from Metropolitan Autonomous University (at Mexico City) -UNIVERSIDAD AUTONOMA METROPOLITANA- Studies of Political Science at Autonomous University of Mexico City. (UNIVERSIDAD AUTONOMA DE LA CIUDAD DE MEXICO) Studies of Foreing Affairs at National Autonomous University of Mexico's Faculty of Political & Social Sciences. Attorney in Mexico City, Estado de Mexico, Hidalgo, Morelos, Queretaro, Michoacan, Puebla and other states.

Experience Since 1999.

Who's Who Historical Society (The International Who's Who of Professionals) of United States. Membership: 5509192.

Who's Who Historical Society: The International Who's Who of Professionals 2003-2004.

Mexican Attorney graduated from National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL AUTONOMA DE MEXICO). Business Administrator graduated from Metropolitan Autonomous University (UNIVERSIDAD AUTONOMA METROPOLITANA) at Mexico City. LL.M. in progresss

#1 Overall Ranked Expert at
#1 Overall Ranked Expert at
#1 Overall Ranked Expert at
TOP 3 Overall Ranked Expert at &
#4 Overall Ranked Expert (Alltime) at
Expert Leader (Mexican Law and International Law Categories) at
37 times 'Volunteer Of The Month' at (Over 7500 nominations) and 'Top 30 Expert' ranked since 1999.

Mexico, United States, Canada, South America and European Union. (China, India, Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, etc. coming soon)