Mexican Law/Annulment

I do not live in Mexico neither does my spouse. I have no idea where my spouse is. We have been married for less than 2 years. And it takes too long to do it in the states.

1. Can I get an annulment in Mexico?
2. How much is the filing fee?
3. Can I mail in my request for annulment (file via mail)
4. Can I hire an attorney in Mexico to do it for me?

Hi Jodie,

Getting an annulment in Mexico in your circumstances would be very difficult. Not knowing where your spouse is can be a real problem.

In Mexico, it is fairly easy to get a divorce if both parties agree even if they do not actually live in Mexico. (Divorce by proxy). But as your spouse is unavailable, a Mexican divorce by proxy would also be difficult.

One way or another, you need to notify your spouse if you want a divorce. If you don't know his whereabouts, there is usually a procedure for notification by publication (as in newspapers).

You can contact me directly at:

Hope this helps

John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward

I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.

Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico