Mexican Law/child support


QUESTION: I got married and divorced in Tijuana. She is a Mexican citezen and I am a legal U.S. permanent resident. Married twelve years and divorced seven months. I give her 300 dollars a week(1200 dollars a month). Is this right or is this to much or to little.

ANSWER: Dear Toba,

What is a "right" is whatever a Judge says is right.
Are you paying $300 per week because that is the amount of the judicial award?

From my experience, $300/week is a huge payment in Mexico unless there were children. (or unless you are extremely wealthy).

Hope this helps.

John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: The amount I am paying is a number I made up because I thought it was fair, there was no judge involved in that decesion.  The judge asked if I was going to help them out financially and I said "Yes, I will be giving her three hundred dollars a weeK".   I still see my kids and give them money, take them out, and buy them clothes. The thing is my ex-wife seeems to want to take advantage of this and I want to put a stop to it before it starts.  I just wanted to know what an "average" child support payment is.

Hi Toba,

If you had children with your wife (or ex-wife), and got divorced, the amount of child support and/or spousal support is almost always stipulated in the divorce decree. Are you sure you are divorced?

In any case, if you are under no judicial order to pay a certain amount, then you need to use your conscience as your guide. If you have children and you are making a decent living in the US, its possible that $1200 is a reasonable figure to pay.



Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.