Mexican Law/Accident in a Beach resort

Question
My client sustained serious injuries when she slipped upon the marble steps leading to the foyer of the resort hotel where she was staying. The accident occurred on 16 September 2013.

It was late at night and had been raining heavily but was not raining at the time.

The steps were unlit and there was no warning that they may become slippery when wet.

The resulting question was at Riviera Maya Mexico Caribbean coast the nearest airport being Cancun.

I believe my clients holiday will be covered by the package tour regulations here in the UK which will allow English courts jurisdiction but the question of negligence will be considered according to local law.

Firstly can you please confirm that the period of limitation in Mexico for a claim of this nature is 2 years from the date of the accident?

Secondly, would you be able to assist as our agent investigating the issue of liability according to local standards and can you give an indication of the likely costs involved in doing this?

Finally, if you cannot assist as an agent are you able to recommend a colleague who would be able to assist us?

Thank you in anticipation

Kind regards
Keith F Massey  
Associate
Simpsons

Answer
Dear Keith,

I believe that the statute of limitations in the state of Quintana Roo for this type of case is only 1 year. I am pasting the applicable article from the Civil Code of Quintana Roo.

However, I believe there is English case law which, in a choice of law analysis, decided to ignore the foreign statute where the accident took place and instead applied the English statue.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

My direct email is: johnleeward@buholegal.com

John

Artículo 2463.- Prescriben en un año:
I.- Los honorarios profesionales u otras retribuciones por la prestación de cualquier servicio. La
prescripción comienza a correr desde la fecha en que dejaron de prestarse los servicios;
II.- La acción del comerciante para cobrar el precio de objetos vendidos a personas que no fueren
revendedoras. La prescripción corre desde el día en que fueren entregados los objetos, si la venta
no se hizo a plazo;
III.- La acción de los dueños de hoteles y casas de huéspedes para cobrar el importe del
hospedaje, y la de éstos y la de los fondistas para cobrar el precio de los alimentos que ministren.
La prescripción corre desde el día en que debió ser pagado el hospedaje, o desde aquél en que se
ministraron los alimentos;
IV.- La responsabilidad civil proveniente de actos ilícitos que no constituyan delitos. La prescripción
corre desde el día en que se verificaron los actos.

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward