You are here:

Mexican Law/Inheritance Laws in Guanaguto, Mexico


If an American who owns a house in the state of Guanajuato, Mexico dies and has no Mexican will, what will the process be for the children of the deceased to get ownership of the house?

Hi Mary,

The law of intestate sucession of the State of Guanajuato will control. These laws are similar to those in the US. (But details vary from State to State). The first step is for one of the children to initiate the intestate sucession procedure before a state judge in Guanajuato. (Juez de Primera Instancia).

In a nutshell, all the heirs are identified, the executor (albacea) is named, property is identified and eventually the judge disburses the property.

Hope this helps...

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.