Mexican Law/Inheritance Laws in Guanaguto, Mexico

Question
If an American who owns a house in the state of Guanajuato, Mexico dies and has no Mexican will, what will the process be for the children of the deceased to get ownership of the house?

Answer
Hi Mary,

The law of intestate sucession of the State of Guanajuato will control. These laws are similar to those in the US. (But details vary from State to State). The first step is for one of the children to initiate the intestate sucession procedure before a state judge in Guanajuato. (Juez de Primera Instancia).

In a nutshell, all the heirs are identified, the executor (albacea) is named, property is identified and eventually the judge disburses the property.

Hope this helps...

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward