Mexican Law/Mexican customs law

Question
QUESTION: If USD's are wire transferred from Mexican bank to account in US bank can they be stopped at Mexican customs for collection of a "customs" fee to Mexican gov't.? We are being told to pay a fee before funds are released from a sale of a Mexican timeshare. We suspect fraud.

ANSWER: Hi Molly,

Sounds very very suspicious. I would say that someone is trying to take advantage of you.

Hope this helps

John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

QUESTION: It would help if you could specify why it is suspicious. Is it a fact that Mexican customs do not "stop" wire transfers? Also that customs does not intercept wire transfers much less request a fee to be paid the government to complete that. Does any country do that for that matter?

Answer
Dear Molly,

I am not an expert in the mechanics of international wire transfers. However, as I understand it, there is no mechanism for a government to intervene in real time to prevent a transfer from being effected. What does happen is that the banks report data about the transaction to governments. A government may act on that information after the fact, but certainly not in the moment of the transfer.

Any claim that Mexican customs will intercept an international wire transfer to collect a fee is just preposterous.

John

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward