Mexican Law/Mexican customs law

QUESTION: If USD's are wire transferred from Mexican bank to account in US bank can they be stopped at Mexican customs for collection of a "customs" fee to Mexican gov't.? We are being told to pay a fee before funds are released from a sale of a Mexican timeshare. We suspect fraud.

ANSWER: Hi Molly,

Sounds very very suspicious. I would say that someone is trying to take advantage of you.

Hope this helps

John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

QUESTION: It would help if you could specify why it is suspicious. Is it a fact that Mexican customs do not "stop" wire transfers? Also that customs does not intercept wire transfers much less request a fee to be paid the government to complete that. Does any country do that for that matter?

Dear Molly,

I am not an expert in the mechanics of international wire transfers. However, as I understand it, there is no mechanism for a government to intervene in real time to prevent a transfer from being effected. What does happen is that the banks report data about the transaction to governments. A government may act on that information after the fact, but certainly not in the moment of the transfer.

Any claim that Mexican customs will intercept an international wire transfer to collect a fee is just preposterous.

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward

I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.

Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico