You are here:

Mexican Law/Quick claim deed


My father has a house here in the US that he purchased 15+ years ago. He is now living in Mexico and has no plans on returning. Would I be able to do a quick claim deed and get it notarized in Mexico?

Dear Michael,

The proper term is "Quit Claim Deed". If you wish for your father to execute a quit claim deed in your favor, he can do that in Mexico and a Mexican notary can certify his signature.

For that certification to be legal in the US, the Notary's signature would have to be "legalized" by the Secretario de Gobierno in whichever state the Notario operates in. The legalization process consists of afixing a stamp or seal called an "apostille". This seal, which conforms to the Hague Apostille Convention, assures that the document will be recognized in any foreign country that is a member of the Hague convention. Both the US and Mexico are signatories (members).

The cost of the apostille in Mexico varies by state to state but $USD 100 is a ball park figure. A notario also will charge about $USD 100 for the certification.

Hope this explanation was helpful to you.


John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz  

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.