You are here:

Mexican Law/mexican land inheritance


Dear Mr. Ward,

My wife inherited some land in Mexico from her mother who passed recently.  Mother had dual citizenship as she was born in the U.S. but later obtained Mexican citizenship.  There is a potential buyer in Mexico wanting the property.  I understand that my wife has to obtain Mexican citizenship after which she must have the property deeded to her through a Mexican legal transaction.  Is this correct?  Generally speaking, under these circumstances is this the most efficient and affective way of handling this potential sale or are there any other options available to her.  She is, of course a U.S. Citizen.  Can she turn over the property to her father who has dual citizenship?  The property was not left to her father because her mother thought that he would pass before her.

Dear Richard,

There is no requirement for her to become a Mexican citizen for land to be deeded to her.

The only complication is if the land is in the "zona fronteriza" or close to the coast. In that case, a foreign citizen must have the land placed in a trust controlled by a bank.

In any case, a Mexican Notario (a special kind of lawyer, not to be confused with a "notary" in the US), can handle this for your wife and there is no need for her to become a Mexican citizen.

Hope this helps.

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.