Mexican Law/child support


can I file for Child support if I live at a Mexican border? my son is 16 years old and his father lives in east Texas and has never paid child support. I do not have a visa border crossing card. Can I still file CS and if so what agency would I file with?


Dear Gina,

Yes, you can sue for child support even though you are in Mexico and the father is in Texas. Relaciones Exteriores can do the paperwork for you. Please check this page for more information.

In many municipios, the local DIF can assist in the communications and interactions with Relaciones Exteriores.

Hope this helps...

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.