Mexico/Spanish in Guanajuato - Safety

Todd Kort wrote at 2013-01-03 23:36:03
Guanajuato a a great city in Mexico to study Spanish, with several available Spanish schools.  It is a college town with beautiful colonial architecture and mild mountain weather.

Another great place to study Spanish is Guatemala.  If you are going to study for a month or longer, it is worth the extra travel expense to journey a bit farther south.  Spanish lessons in Mexico are hard to find for less than $10/hour, whereas in Guatemala lessons cost less than half as much at most schools.  Guatemala is one of the poorest (yet very safe) countries in the western hemisphere and the cost of Spanish lessons, food and accommodations are much lower than you will find in anywhere in Mexico (actually, any other Spanish-speaking country).

There are three main cities/areas in Guatemala with lots of Spanish schools: 1) Antigua (a nice colonial town near Guatemala City, with lots of foreign tourists); 2) small towns such as San Pedro along the shoreline of Lake Atitlan -- one of the most beautiful lakes in the world; and 3) Xela (Quetzaltenango) - a city in the highlands.  I have studied at each of these locations and highly recommend all of them.

Guatemala365.com is an excellent website for comparing the Spanish schools in that country.  Another useful site is 123teachme.com for Spanish classes in several Latin American countries.  

The quality of teaching varies from school to school and teacher to teacher, but the most important factor is your own efforts to study and practice what you have learned.  

Mexico

Mexico Mike