Mexico/Moving to Mexico for 1 year

Hi Claudia
We are considering living in Mexico for one year with our 3 children (7, 4 and 4 months) to immerse ourselves Spanish and live in a colorful small city with access to nature for hikes, biking and horseback riding.  We've heard that San Miguel de Allende is one possible location as we are interested in the Waldorf school there for our children who are currently in Waldorf.  

What locations in Mexico would you recommend currently with Waldorf schools and relatively safe compared to the North of Mexico?  

Also, who would we contact at the Waldorf schools to learn more about their teachers, facilities and curriculum?  

We don't plan on driving much except around the city and to the airport to be safer so how convenient is transportation to these places you recommend?

Thanks for your advice.

Hi, John:
You probably would like a linger answer, but here is the one I can give you right now: I do not recommend moving your family to Mexico at this time. I do not think there is anything that justifies putting your children in the way of danger for a year. The violence is still there and is now reaching normally quiet cities but not being publicized outside localities so as not to scare tourists...
If you still want to move there for one year, I can only recommend moving to Mexico City. It is now the safest city in Mexico (note: Mexico City and not Estado de Mexico). There are a couple of good Waldorf and Waldorf initiatives there.
Be safe.

C. Reyes-Hull

I have lived in both the US and México. I am familiar with both cultures and languages. I now reside in Philadelphia, PA, but I lived over 4 years in the mountain town of Coatepec, Veracruz. I have traveled extensibly (with and without kids) throughout Mexico and can answer to general questions on culture, travel, people, etc.

Mexican National with experience as a guide for professional architects from the US and Worldwide. Extensive travel through Mexico with and without kids.

Masters degree in Architecture Certified translator/ interpreter English/Spanish Art Teacher Personal Chef Entrepreneur