Mexico/Duty Free Alcohol into Mexico

Question
Hello and thank you for your assistance,
We are visiting Mexico for 3 weeks and wish to bring some duty free alcohol with us.

There seems to be conflicting advice on various web pages
i.e some say 3 litres of only one - wine or spirits,

However official web page  SHCT  SAT in their list at
Clause No 11  states   "Passengers over 18 years of age, may introduce a maximum of up to 20 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco and up to three liters of alcoholic beverages, and six liters of wine; in excess of the above, cannot be imported without complying with applicable regulations and restrictions."

we would like to bring both spirits and wine hoping to purchase these items at Huston Airport which is our last port of call before entering Mexico ..  Will the duty free stores at Huston airport be knowledgeable ?  

We would be most appreciative if you could advise on what the REAL allowance is... thank you
Kind regards
Pixie and Nigel Lennard

Answer
To be perfectly honest, the amount of tobacco and alcohol you bring may depend more on the customs agent at the airport than anything else. My guess is that you'll have trouble if you  try to bring as much as nine bottles: three liters of alcohol or six liters of wine. I wouldn't advise you to bring more than three bottles per person, or less, or just buy the stuff here.

I doubt that the personnel at the "duty-free" store will know. Their job, after all, is to sell the stuff.

Mexico

W. Jones-Jordan, MD