Mexico/moving to cozumel

Hi Julie,  I am planning on moving to Cozumel. I have been paying off all my debt here in the US so that I don't have anything to tie me down. I would like to move within the next few months but, I also want to make sure that I have a decent job before I go. How would I go about getting a job down there? I work as a restaurant manager and am open to working with anything that is helping people or customer service. I have some certifications for red cross along with being serve safe certified and I also speak Spanish almost fluently. What can I do to find a job before I move? I am planning a trip there specifically to hand out my resume all over the island and trying to get my foot in the door. Any tips or advice??

Greatly appreciated,

Hi Rachael,

I'm sure you will be able to find something customer service related. Many English speaking people work selling time shares and your Spanish skills will help you to have an even wider variety of job options.  You MUST get permission from immigration BEFORE you try to work in Mexico - and for most visas you need to get that permission in your home country. Before you go to Mexico, be sure to go to the Mexican embassy or consulate nearest you to learn what would be required of you and which jobs they would allow you to have.  

Going to meet people in person is the only way to find a job, so your trip is a necessary first step.  You may also be disappointed in what you'll be able to earn.  When you are talking to people ask around about how much people earn in the jobs you are considering.  

Since it appears that you are planning to integrate yourself into your new home (hopefully, Cozumel, which is lovely) you may enjoy my book Mexico: The Trick is Living Here. I have the third Edition available on my web site now. It seems like you'd be fine without it, but there are some sections in it that I think might be of interest to you.

Good luck getting your visa and enjoy your adventure!

Kindest Regards,

Julia C Taylor

Julia C Taylor

I can answer questions about cultural differences between the U.S. and Mexico, teaching EFL, taxis, buses, cost of living, foods, water, paying bills, being pregnant and delivering your baby in Mexico, finding doctors, health care, and travel in central Mexico especially Morelos. I can't answer questions about purchasing real estate in Mexico. (Please DON'T MARK the question as "private" unless your question is truly private. It is helpful for others to see your questions and the answers to them.)

I have lived and worked in Mexico since 2001. My baby was born in Mexico. My in-laws are Mexican. I have created a web site I have written and published an ebook called Mexico: The Trick is Living Here

Mexico: The Trick is Living Here
regular contributor to Mexico Connect

I have 2 bachelor's degrees from a state university in Washington State.