Mexico/schools in San Cristobal

Dear Claudia,
I saw a response you made a couple of years ago about schools in Mexico. You mentioned that San Cristobal might be a good place to look.

I haven't been able to find anything in the way of schools, either in San Cristobal or in Oaxaca, would you know of any, and/or where I could look?

I'm planning a trip to either Mexico or Guatemala with my 15-yr-old, who will be in 10th grade next year, and want to enroll her in a bilingual school for a half year.

Any ideas? Guatemala seems to have more options in this area. I'm not willing to live in Mexico City, as we currently live in New York City and want something much much smaller.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

As I recall, the posts you were looking at about San Cristobal, were about alternative school for grade school. That I am aware of, there are no alternative (Waldorf, Freinet, Montessori)schools that go above 6th grade. Most parents with children this age have to send them to private traditional schools (American School Foundation, move back to the US (we did) or public schools (which are not great everywhere). I would recommend looking into the American School Foundation to see where they have schools as a safe option.
As a parent, I would shy away from uprooting a teenager, though.
Sorry I can't be of much help in this regard.

C. Reyes-Hull

I have lived in both the US and México. I am familiar with both cultures and languages. I now reside in Philadelphia, PA, but I lived over 4 years in the mountain town of Coatepec, Veracruz. I have traveled extensibly (with and without kids) throughout Mexico and can answer to general questions on culture, travel, people, etc.

Mexican National with experience as a guide for professional architects from the US and Worldwide. Extensive travel through Mexico with and without kids.

Masters degree in Architecture Certified translator/ interpreter English/Spanish Art Teacher Personal Chef Entrepreneur