Mexico/Zihuatanejo

Question
My husband and I are interested in Zihuatanejo and would like to go around the end of,Nov. since we only have a week we'd like an all-inclusive. We are not much for night life, but enjoy walking, seafood, snorkeling and relaxing. We've been about a dozen times to the Mayan and Huatulco but never to your area. If our hotel was in Ixtapa, can we walk to Zihuaranejo to explore? What would you recommend? Thanks for your time.

Answer
Hi Sharon,

Since we are from Manitoba and Sask is so close, I feel like I have just had a "touch of home"!  Well to start with, there aren't many all-inclusives in Zihua.  Pretty close to AI's would be Intrawest and The Viceroy- both right on La Ropa- the best beach for walking and swimming, with lots of beach front restaurants to enjoy. I would also suggest you look at Villas Mexicanas, also right on the beach.  All have restaurants and meal plans.  La Ropa is also close to Las Gatas which is about the best snorkelling in this area.  Of course the Pacific is NOT the Caribbean, but Las Gatas is one of the best snorkelling locations I have found on the Pacific.  (you would have to hire a little panga to whisk you across to Las Gatas, or you can walk in about 20 mins if you are ok with a little rock climbing/hopping on the way)  Here in Zihua there are many wonderful condos for rent.  If you would like contact info for some owners that I know who rent their units, just send me your email address and I will send you a list.
Ixtapa has several all inclusives.  The beach is good for walking, but is too rough for most folks for swimming.  There isn't much to explore- it is a real foreigners' tourist resort.  There is a little Mexican market across from the hotel strip, but it isn't very authentic.  I guess it's all about what you are used to and how much of Mexico you know.  There is an excellent tourist market in Zihua (huge) as well as the municipal market where you can buy fresh local produce, fish, and everything else under the sun.  My friend Alberto gives excellent tours of this market, and his wife teaches individual cooking classes.  But I am wandering....sorry.   You can't walk from Ixtapa to Zihua, but they are only 6 k's apart- there are lots of buses and taxis.  Most people who stay in Ixtapa end up spending most of their time in Zihua...unless they just want to stay at the resort and chill.
I hope I have helped a bit.  If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know.   I would suggest you make your arrangements soon, since things are really starting to fill up here with many places now booked for the season.  I know there are a couple of condos still available here in my complex.  Let me know if you would like that contact list.   Good luck with your plans.

Mexico

Linda Leonard