Mexico/Hotel question

Mike, this is Gabriel. I am thinking to stay at La Puesta del Sol Hotel in Santa Maria del Rio, San Luis Potosi, have you heard if is a ok and save hotel? Thanks.

I have seen it on press trips and think it is fine. It is only a 2 star hotel, but lots of times those places make up for that with character and kindness. Frankly, without knowing you, it is hard to say whether you will like it or not. I presonally do not make reservations except at Christmastime. That way I can look at a hotel and THEN decide if I want to stay. You are about 30 miles from SLP city, so it would not be the end of the world to drive back there if you didn't like it. Or to choose one of the other choices. There are not a lot of choices in Santa Maria and the next choice up in qualtiy is a spa and then an ex-hacienda. Both of those are 2 to 3 times the cost of this one. As to whether it is safe, my belief is that any hotel in this town is safe.

Mexico Mike

I cannot answer car permit questions. I can intelligently answer just about any question about driving in mainland Mexico, living in Mexico and hot springs in Mexico. I do not recommend specific hotels, there are quidebooks for that. I am not a Baja expert. That is a different part of the country and there are plenty of people who know more about it than I do. Naturally, I have a web site ( and make a living with personal consultations, but am here to offer good advice for general topics for free. But please understand that I can't answer detailed questions about moving or extensive driving trips to Mexico here without being unfair to my paying clients. And please, no car permit questions.

Driving Mexico -- I have been driving to Mexico since 1968 and writing travel guides for drivers to Mexico since 1984. I frequently drive the country and have a reputation for honesty and integrity. I will tell people the plusses and minuses of traveling in and living in Mexico. Living in Mexico -- I have lived and done business in Mexico. My book, 'Live Better South of the Border' has been in print since 1997 and speaks to people of all ages, not just retirees. Hot springs of Mexico -- I have been researching and enjoying Mexican hot sprigs since the lsat 1980's. My book 'Spas & Hot Springs of Mexico' was the first book on Mexico's hot springs. It is now out of print, but selling for $60 or so on Amazon as a collector's item.

Chamber of Commerce, McAllen TX International Committee, Chamber of Commerce, McAllen, TX

Frommers, Fommers, Insight Guides, Dallas Morning News, Mexico Business Magazine, McAllen Monitor, Mexico City News, San Miguel de Allende paper 'Atencion' and so on

As the author of more than a dozen books on Mexico and psychology, I believe that speaks for my being educated.

NY Times -- Profiled for writing about driving Mexico. Wall Street Journal -- Profiled for writing about driving Mexico. Texas Monthly -- ditto. Former Mecia Spokesman (1997) for the Mexican Tourimm Ministry