Mexico/driving to mexico

I'm planning to relocate to Mexico. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats and a few things I would like to bring with me(nothing big that would require a moving van). I don't want to deal with having to drive and bring the car back or anything like that. I would like to get there and never have to drive again. Is there a way?

I'm afraid this may be more difficult than it seems at first glance. Getting here is no problem, there is excellent bus service in México.

There are a couple of problems. First, you'll need a passport and Mexican tourist card. That can be renewed but you have to leave after six months. You can come back, of course, for another six months, but that gets repetitious. Second, I don't think you'll be able to bring even one live animal into México. I'm sorry I don't have firm information on the importation of animals.

Your first move should be a visit to the nearest Mexican consulate to get a tourist card and information about the animals. Then go to the Greyhound Bus station to ask about conecting service to your planned destination in México.

W. Jones-Jordan, MD

I have a degree in L.A. Affairs from the University of Texas (Austin) and have lived in Acapulco for almost 20 years. I go up to Mexico City and the surrounding area regularly. I have also visited Taxco, Puebla, Veracruz, Cholula, Cacaxtla, Oaxaca, Monte Albán, Palenque, Chiapa de Corso, Chichen Itzá, Cozumel, and Isla Mujeres, La Habana, Guatemala and Tikal. I'd be glad to try to answer questions about these areas.

I first came to Acapulco as a child. I vacationed here regularly during the 60's and 70's, bought my present apartment in 1990 and moved here permanently in 1995. I was a Teaching Assistant in Spanish at the University of Texas before medical school and after I moved here I taught English as a second language for ten years at a private academy.

The Travis County Medical Society, Austin, Texas

The University of Texas at Austin, B.A. in Latin American Affairs The University of Texas Medical Branch, M.D. The University of Iowa Medical School Rotating Internship. The Scott & White Clinic, Temple, Texas Residency in Psychiatry