Mice/wild baby won't gain weight

Joyce B wrote at 2009-04-16 01:20:36
My daughter found a baby white-footed mouse in her car, I would say only about 3-5 days old.  Mother must have removed others and lost track of this one.  I have live trapped both white footed and deer mice as part of a study and noted that deer mice tended to live in the deeper woods more, and white-footed's more around the edges and in my house.  Only live trapped about 25 mice as part of my ecological inventory of all vertebrates and plants at a preserve.

Anyway, the first night I fed it my daughter's breast milk on the palm of my hand.  My daughter found a web article that said to feed kitten formula to baby mice so I purchased that the next day.  It sucked that off my palm for 3 days.  It grew and was moving around on my hand quickly.  I fell in love with it, but alas, I awoke on its 4th day with me to discover that it had died during the night.  Kept it all the time on a heating pad, set at low setting, and made a nest for it out of a sock and tissues.  The print was so small on the can of formula I didn't check to read it before buying it but after it died, I read that it contained evaporated milk, which I presume came from cows.  Years ago we successfully raised baby kittens on goat milk but was out of town when I first got this mouse.

I tried only once to massage its rectal area to get it to defecate to no avail but I dried it after every feeding as it would roll over in the milk at times.  But noticed once or twice, small droppings so I thought it was functioning normally.  On the 3rd day he was moving off the white tissues around a green towel, so I couldn't tell whether it was excreting or not.  I mixed the formula at 4 parts water to 1, and earlier about 6 to 1 part formula.  That was probably better.  I wonder now if the mouse would have done better on a soy product or on my daughter's milk.  It was so adorable - I have felt terrible about its loss and blame myself for not doing more research on what to feed it.  I could see changes in its growth continously so thought it was faring well but knew from raising wildlife many years ago that its chances of survival were slim.  Natasha, if you read this, I graduated from U. of CT too!  Joyce

Ria wrote at 2012-12-07 03:12:32
I am currently raising a white footed mouse from a baby.  If you ever find a baby mouse again use an artist paint brush with about a dozen hairs to feed it.  Mice are so tiny it's hard to feed them.  They must be fed every 2 hours and need electrolytes like coconut milk, some yogurt, whole grain baby food, etc. Deer Mouse Ranch has an excellent video about it.  My little guy is 3 months old and very healthy thanks to their video.  He made it just fine without a surrogate pet shop mouse.  

I wouldn't worry about hantivirus.  Mice are not born with it.  They have to contract it too.  Your baby more than likely didn't carry it.  Only 12% of deer mice countrywide carry the disease to begin with. I would have it by now from my own mouse. Instead I just have a fat sassy mouse I'm raising.  They are so much fun to watch. If you ever get a chance to raise one again, do not be afraid to do so.  

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut