Mice/found orphan field mice

This morning i was cleaning my dog kennel, and underneath of
the doghouse I found (5) baby mice.  I took them inside, and
put them in a little pet enclosure that I had.  They are very
tiny.  their eyes are open, judging from the pictures at a day
by day depiction, I suspect they are only about (1) week old.
That being said, Can they survive without their mothers milk?
How old are they when weened in the wild?

Dear Belinda,

If their eyes are open, they are at least 14 days old. The following questioner found some mice at about the same age as yours:

Also, and in fact more importantly, watch this series of ten short videos on raising orphan mice. The titles are a little misleading, so it is best to watch them all:

That woman has more experience than I do, so consider her advice better than mine.

Mice are weaned at about 3 weeks of age. You may be able to get them to do a little nibbling in about 3 days.

Let me know if you have any more questions; and let me know what happens.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut