QUESTION: What is a person called who specializes in the study of mice?

ANSWER: Hi Jack,

There is no professional term for someone who studies mice, or even rodents.  There are however many different fields that work closely with mice, either to learn more about them, help them, or help others:

Zoologists study the animal kingdom, which can mean specializing in one kind of critter, and biologists is the term for someone who works in the field of biology which includes zoology and any living organism as well.  A veterinarian, especially one who works in exotics or pocket pets, studies animals extensively in college and graduate school, so they can provide medical care to them.  Some vets do specialize in rodents and other small pets, so this is a great way to specialize in the study of the mice themselves if you're skilled in medicine.

Lab technicians, scientists, researchers, animal husbandry professionals, animal care technicians, and geneticists all have the potential to work closely with mice and study things about them, but that is usually not all that they do.  Many people "study mice" for scientific fields like oncology (cancer) or heredity (genetics), but they are using already established and well-understood mouse strains to study something different that will apply to more than mice, not the mice themselves.  The Jackson Laboratory in Maine and California studies mice very closely so they can provide them for scientific research - they are a hub of mouse knowledge and have spent decades learning about them.  They would also just be called scientists, geneticists, zoologists, or whatever their specialty happens to be.

Hope I helped, and let me know if you have any other questions!

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: If one wanted to create a descriptive term for a mice expert, would MUSOLOGIST be acceptable?

I don't think so.  We don't use genus names for any other -ologist terms. For example, lepidopterology is the study of butterflies and moths, where lepidoptera is the order name.  Genus would be way too specific to be a valid field of study in and of itself.  I also couldn't find a word for rodent studies, but that doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere.

This is really a better question for a linguist or English professor, since you want to coin a new term, and mouse folks just call each other...mouse folks!  :)



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: http://www.rmca.org/Articles/orphans.htm Orphaned Mice Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/CreekValleyCritters/videos?query=raising Natasha's Your First Mouse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNK4uqNZTbA&feature=share General Mouse Help: http://www.fancymice.info/ Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds: http://www.hiiret.fi/eng/species/


I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.