Mice/mouse bully

I recently got 2 mice to be companions for a mouse that had a companion up until she recently passed away. One of them gets along fine with my original mouse, the other has been attacking and chasing around the other two (Almost non-stop if they are not sleeping) they are in a large aquarium and have plenty of hiding places, food and water... The mean one has red eyes the other two have black eyes (does that make a difference) I don't want any of them to get hurt but cannot get a second cage, is there something I can do or should I try to return the bully?

Hi Heather,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.  How long ago did you purchase the two new girls?  It usually takes a few days for a pecking order of sorts to be figured out (it sounds like the bully is trying to make sure everyone knows she is the boss), but after that it should settle.  If it has been several days and she is still constantly harassing them, I would consider exchanging or returning her so everyone can rest a little easier, her included.  There are a few things you can try with keeping her, such as removing things to fight over, rearranging the cage, changing the bedding, or even trying a tiny, tiny dab of vanilla extract (real, not substitute) on each mouse's bottom, but if you are really concerned they will get hurt, you may not want to take any risks.  Pet shops generally understand that not all pets get along and should have a return policy that you can ask about before making your decision.

The eye color doesn't make any difference at all.  All it means is she drew the right genetics for pink eyes instead of black, but it has no link with her behavior or temperament, it's just how she looks.

In the end it comes down to your judgment, so that all the mice can figure out how to live happiest.  If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know and I'll do my best.  Best of luck!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications