Mice/Mouse losing hair

Our mouse is losing hair around her face and has three red spots no hair. Two on one side and one on the other.... The only thing we did was put her on the floor next to the heater to keep her warm where as she was up on table before....We gave her a bath lastnight and cleaned her cage. Not sure what to do next.....Thank you

Dear Holly,

There are several reasons for mice to lose fur or have red skin. The mouse should go to the vet. Usually I would say treating for mites can be a start before going to the vet, but in this case the most likely cause is not as clear. My worry is that it might be ringworm (which is a fungus, not a worm). The mouse can also give ringworm to you or other pets.

She needs to be seen by a competent vet. Call around and find someone who specializes in "pocket pets" or "exotics."

Let me know what happens.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut