Mice/Mouse eye squinty with discharge

Eye discharge
Eye discharge  
QUESTION: Hi, so I recently received two little mice as a present. They both seem healthy and active, but recently I noticed that one of the mice seems to have squinty eyes. I've heard this a normal thing of mice but I also noticed a small amount of a beige discharge around her eye. Should I be concerned about this? Or is just simply irritated. She is still eating and playing around with her sister but I'm worried about her. Help please!

ANSWER: Dear Allie,

The first thing to do is get some saline and apply it with a Q-tip, wiping away the discharge, 2-3 times a day, to see if she can clear it up on her own, for instance if it is from an injury.

If that doesn't do it after two days, either bring her to the vet (best course of action) or try a medicated eye ointment such as Terramycin, also applied with a Qtip. Some mice have no problem  having their eyes touched; otherwise  squeeze it as best you can through the closed eye.

If that doesn't clear it up then you must take her to the vet.

I hope it clears up right away.

QUESTION: Thanks! I will try that! But I'm afraid she is getting worse ): A funny noise is happening while she is breathing, a noise that could best be described as a scratching noise. She is still eating and drinking but I am vey worried about her. If possible I am going to try to take her to a vet, but I'm not sure if I can. Any ideas, suggestions, or do you know what might be wrong with her? Thank you so much for your time

Dear Allie,

She is sick. She needs to go to an "exotics" or "pocket pets" vet. We do not know if she has one problem or two.

If that is totally impossible, or if you find a vet who isn't trained in exotics but will take advice, I will find out what some other experts say (I am not trained in medicine). But she probably needs medication which is not OTC. Get a vet appt right away because rats die fast of respiratory infections. Because they are prey animals, they do not show illness until it is serious.

Or write back right away if you really can't get a vet to see her.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut