Mice/Sick Mouse

Hi Natasha,

You helped me yesterday with my mouse with the constipation problem. Today she seems a bit sicker. While she did go to the bathroom a bit more this morning she did not tonight. She also appears to be a bit thinner than she once was (I don't know why I didn't notice this yesterday). Although she did spin on the wheel a but when we took her out we noticed she was breathing a little more heavily than usual (I think it's breathing because it's when you see her chest move up and down).

I am more worried because she just seems off... I am sorry for contacting you again but I am just worried and wondering if I should treat her with tetracycline. Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Stephanie,

Poor little thing, I'm sorry she is unwell. I am afraid that this is the point where I need to hand you off to a vet, because I really cannot evaluate her, nor am I a vet to have the knowledge to do it right. Here is the reasoning I can give you:

I don't know of any specific bacterial infection that would cause intestinal problems in a mouse.  It is really hard for me to know if an antibiotic would do any good-- she doesn't have typical symptoms that I have seen many times before.

It may be that she is unwell, which affects her eating habits, which affects her pooping, in which case the pooping issues would be irrelevant.

However, tetracycline is not harmful to healthy mice. If you really want to try that, it shouldn't hurt-- but I do not think it will help. Do not do the initial heavy dose (I assume you have been reading my posts and have seen the method).

What I think of that worries me, is something going physiologically wrong with her, such as a tumor or other form of cancer. That isn't necessarily the case; but it is a possibility.

If she continues to seem ill or get worse, see if you can get her to a vet. She may be suffering.

Let me know what happens.  I wish her the best of luck and health.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut