Mice/questions about my new born rescue mouse

Tammy wrote at 2016-04-10 01:50:06
I keep reading your response over and over and over. I recently have been blessed with 3 baby mice that were living in the insulation in my car. I don't know if I lost more while driving, or even if the mother abandoned them :( Two were found on the garage floor (mind you it's still acting like winter here in Mi). The other last one found was dangling from the bottom of my car out on the highway. I had just stopped thinking "are these mice coming from in my car. The lil bugger is lucky I heard him crying. I would have never found him.

Well, this morning I found one of them dead and another almost there. I am so heart broken. I wanted to do the best I could for them, but I feel I failed them. Feeding throughout the night is incredibly difficult when you're tackling it alone, and the two littler ones were not eating well for me. I had been holding them for hours cause they already showed great interest in my touch, but I was so sleep deprived. I put them in the lil aquarium I was using and went to bed. I woke up 1hr and 40mins later for a feeding and found them. I'm so so sad. I keep crying and feeling guilty. I could have done better.  I read everything I could find on the care for them, and I was trying to do everything right. 1-2hour between feeding, massaging belly, stimulating lower parts, keep them warm, proper formula ratio, getting electrolytes, etc. I feel the two littler ones that have died maybe died because dehydration. They didn't eat as well as the larger one, and they could have been abandoned on purpose by the mother (pushed out). I don't know. What I do know is I am feeling horrible and I it won't let up. Did I do my best to help little tiny precious things live? I let them down and they suffered and died. Now I have to make it up to the remain lil big guy.  He was dangling from my car and crying for me. I will just be crushed if he doesn't make it. Crushed even more so. Estimate 9-10 days old

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut