Mice/Can I keep a wild field mouse? disease/etc

Duane wrote at 2014-02-14 11:40:12
Geez I caught 10 field mice in the house in humane traps and they are all now in a Critter Trail cage together. They have been very well behaved. Eat a lot. Drink a lot of water (thanks for the butter on water drinker suggestion). They come up to the cage and say hi. I never wanted pet mice, and I feel bad for putting out poison in the past. You made it clear this cage is too small so I am guessing I will let them go this spring. Hope I do not domesticate them too much for release. How long do these guys live?

Nickey wrote at 2016-05-02 15:04:34
Hi this is not an answer, but I was wanting to ask you guys some questions and didn't know how except for putting it on the question part.

My children and I found a little baby field mouse (I do believe) outside we caught him and have him in an aquarium right now with some dirt and grass on the bottom and a fruit cup with water and we've been feeding him crackers and some cheese. I put a Kleenex in with him this morning because he looked cold and he carried over to the corner and is now snuggled in it. He seems very happy and will let me pet him, I wont let the kids mess with him because I am worried about diease afraid they may not get there hands clean good well. I looked on the link that was posted on the answers that shows the states with diseased mice, we live in Kentucky and it says there are no cases. Is this the only thing we need to be concerned about along with breathing in the feces and urion?  

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut