Mice/8 newborn mice

I found a nest of 8 newborn mice doing repairs on house. No hair eyes closed.Tinier than my pinky. I have been feeding them kittem milk and so far its going on 3 days and all 8 are still alive and eating. This is very hard because i also have 4 cats and 3 dogs. No help, just me. can you suggest anyone you would take these precious little ones.

Hi Jennifer,

First of all - wow!  You are doing a great job!  It is extremely difficult to raise mice from that young of an age, and you are doing splendidly.

I do know how tough it is on a person to do that around the clock, however, and I sympathize.  Fortunately, there are a lot of people and groups you can ask to take them on.  The first place I would start is calling your local animal rescue groups.  They likely only work with larger companion animals, but they may know OF someone who has experience with orphaned mice.  Another few places to try calling are your local pet shops, rodent breeders, veterinarians, or wildlife rehabilitators.  Again, while most of these may not be able to personally help you, they can probably point you in the right direction!  The last place I would try in a pinch would be reptile owners/breeders.  Obviously you do not want to hand the mouse babies over to them, BUT, they are the ones most likely to know of your area's mouse breeders, who may have experience hand feeding and be able to give you a hand.

No matter who you turn them over to, remember to ask them lots of questions and ask to watch them care for the pups at first.  Observing a feeding can give you an idea if they really are as experienced and responsible as they claim to be.  Additionally, be cautious with any person you give them to who works with predatory animals (reptiles, birds of prey, etc.) - they may be perfectly kind-hearted and wish to help out, but it is better to be safe than sorry.  Asking questions and using your eyes are the best ways to make sure that any animal you give to another person is safe and cared for.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can be of any more help!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications