Mice/Mice Treat

Hi there, I'm looking for some kind of treat for my mice, and I have a few ideas. I know sunflower seeds are ok, but they can be a little fattenng...I was wondering about microwave popcorn? I currently make it almost daily for myself, has it is a cheap snack and I get the 'lightly buttered, lightly salted' flavor...Would giving my two little buddies small peices hurt them at all? I did have a peice drop into a small roaming area I made for them, and Gizmo (my larger brown fancy) loved it. Beaker (typical albino fancy) didn't get any so I did feel bad, and give her a small peice...They seemed fine, but I don't want to cause problems down the line.
Thank you in advance :)

Hi Christopher,

While corn isn't necessarily bad for mice, it isn't good for them, either, and the butter and salt are also a much bigger indulgence for a mouse than for a human.  It would certainly be more fattening than offering occasional seeds!  I wouldn't worry about the piece you have already given her, but I can't recommend giving them more of that particular food.

Some healthier treats would include cheerios, pumpkin seeds, small pieces of banana or apple, millet sprays (available in the bird section of most pet shops), or even mealworms.  This is also a wonderful and comprehensive list of foods to try and avoid that might give you some more ideas:

Hope I helped, and let me know if you have any more questions!  :)

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications