Mice/My mouse sleeps too much

Hello again,

Thanks for the last answer. (I am the person who rescued a little lab mouse from the aviary.) I showed her to a vet, the vet said she is ok and her breathing is just a bit faster than other mice. She is now at home, and I got a brand-new cage for her.

She seemed to be comfortable being there, but now I sense another problem.

She eats and drinks and chews on the cage normally, often so that I can hear it even behind a closed window. But especially during the daytime, she seems to be almost always sleeping in her comfortable little bedchamber. I can sometimes hear her grooming herself or gnawing on little morsels of food inside, but I think that she is staying inside too long.

After a little bit of surfing the web, I guessed that she is simply quite lonely and I should get her a little roommate. Until I do acquire a new mouse, though, do you know how to make her a little more active? The local petshops do not have mice, so it will take at least a few days.

Dear Sylvia,

Mice are nocturnal. They are supposed to be active at night and sleep all day! : )

But indeed she does need a friend or two. It is best to have three females so when one dies, the others have each other. Lonely mice are more prone to illness, depression, and mites.

I am glad she is doing well. She is lucky you rescued her.

Squeaks n giggles,

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut