Mice/Sick mouse

Hi, I'm not sure if you can help me but I thought I'd ask anyway. About 2 weeks ago I took my mice away with me on holidays and one of them started losing her fur on her side and face. I've taken them away before and they were fine. When I first got her she lost some fur too but it got better and didn't happen again until now. Then yesterday I noticed she seemed a bit off, not as active and slightly shivery. Today she is looking sick. She has lost more fur on her face and is shivering quite bad. She is usually so active and almost always on her wheel but not today. And when I hold her instead of climbing all over me like normal she just sits in my palm. I've had her (and my other female mouse from the same shop) for about 8 months now. My other mouse isn't showing any signs of illness. I don't know how to help her and I font know of any vets that treat mice. Should I search for one? What should I do? I don't know what to do and I'm very worried about her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Dear Kelly,

Losing fur usually means mites. Looking sick and shivering means an emergency trip to the vet. Mice don't show any sign of illness at all until it is quite serious and they need antibiotics. She is in danger of her life right now.

You need to find a vet who specializes in "pocket pets" or "exotics."

In the meantime, keep her very warm.  A heating pad on warm under part of the cage is best. Put a towel between. She must be able to move off of it if it gets too hot. A hot water bottle is also good. A quick heater is a bag of frozen vegetables heated in the microwave, but you have to be careful as to temperature. In a pinch, a light bulb near the cage can work-- but it is easy to overheat the mouse. In that case, she must be in something where she is not in the light.

I wish her the best of luck and health.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut