Hi Tamarah,

This is my mouse, Rosita. She and her "sister" are about nine months old and live together. About two months ago, her sister started to barber Rosita and it seems to be progressing. It started with just the whiskers and now it is part of her head and around her eyes, too. Is there anything we can do to reduce this behavior? From what I've read, it isn't harmful to pet mice, but I feel badly for her. The mice seem to get along just fine. Rosita is still active and eats normally.

Thanks! Mahriah

Hi Mahriah,

Is Rosita scratching at any of the barbered spots?  It looks healty to me, so as long as he is not fussing with any of her bald spots, it shouldn't be bugging her.

When barbering, the dominant mouse chews the hair of the submissive mice, usually in the same pattern on every mouse.  She doesn't pull at it or pluck it, just nibbles it away.  Since it's just being trimmed, it doesn't hurt and it looks like grooming.  So, while her head might feel a little cooler these days, it shouldn't bother Rosita in the slightest.  It just looks a little silly!

I don't know of anything that can stop a barber from barbering.  It doesn't result from stress or anything in her environment that you can change, in fact, it may even have a genetic component, as well as being learned (usually from parents, I believe).  You can separate them, but chances are any other mouse you put her sister with is going to get a fur cut, too.  If they are getting along well and Rosita doesn't seem bothered by it, I wouldn't worry.

I'm sorry I don't have more suggestions for you!  Best of luck, and let me know if it starts to irritate her or you have any other questions!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications