Mice/mouse breeds

do you know any breeds of mice besides fancy mice that are available in the US? if so where do u get them?

Hi Hadley,

I am not sure what you mean by breeds.  Fancy mice, or Mus musculus, is a species of mouse that has several different "breeds" and "varieties," but they are all still fancy mice.  You can see photos of some of the different coat types and color variations here:

Then you have mice that are entirely different species, which I suspect is what you were asking about.  Some examples of different mouse species kept as pets include:

- Deer mice (Peromyscus, multiple species).  These are wild mice across North America that can be kept as pets in some areas.  Check with your local animal control to inquire about animal ordinances.

- African Pygmy Mice (Mus minutoides).  This is a tiny mouse with a white belly originating in Africa that some people in the states keep as pets.  Check not only with exotic pet shops and mouse breeders, but also reptile or feeder breeders, as the small stature of these mice means they are sometimes bred for small reptiles.

- Spiny mice (Acomys, multiple species).  These are like tiny hedgehogs and have radically different care requirements than normal fancy mice.  Sometimes called Egyptian spiny mice, you can probably find these through local breeders or even through pet shops that sell exotics, particularly in large cities.  This website has info on them:

- Zebra mice (Lemniscomys, multiple species).  These striped mice, sometimes called a striped grass mouse, also originate in Africa and are kept as pets as well.  They can also be found by trying mouse breeders in your area and asking around for exotics pet shops.  Sometimes if they don't have them, they can still point you in the right direction.  This website has info on them:

- Multimammate mice (Mastomys natalensis).  Also called natal multimammate mice, multimammate rats, and African soft-furred rats, these are not technically mice but look and behave similarly to them.  These are bred as both pets and feeder animals, so if you decide one of these guys is right for you, try local breeders, importers, exotic pet shops, and reptile/feeder breeders.

All of these can be found in the U.S. with a little digging.  Unfortunately, I do not know your area or its businesses, so you may need to do a little hunting around once you pick the pet that best fits your home.

I hope I helped!  Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications