Mice/Itchy Mouse

I have a male mouse that is scratching a spot on his face raw. He is over a year old and this spot has always been a problem but he never made a bald spot. I can't take him to a vet. I bought some UltraCare Flea & Tick Spray for small animals. It has .06% Pyrethrins in it and I read that helps in treating mites. I've already treated him and cleaned the cage. I bought some API T.C. Tetracycline and I heard this was an antibiotic. It says it has 500 mg of Tetracycline Hydrochloride per packet and I got 10 powder packets. How do I dose with this? Is it good to do both treatments at the same time? I also changed his food and bedding. The food has 14% protein and he now gets aspen again.

Dear Jessica,

Unless there is something you didn't tell me, he does not need antibiotics.

Some mice have a terribly painful skin reaction to the .06% pyrethrins, so it is best to get the bird spray, which is half strength. Other mice are fine. Follow the directions I give to a mouse with a very noble name here:

Be terribly careful not to get it on his bald spot because it may be very tender. It sounds like you are doing the right things. If he is still scratching in a week write back with a more detailed history. If he is scratching less but has not stopped, and you used the weaker spray, you would want to start over with the stronger spray. You will do the second dose regardless.

Best of luck.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut