Mice/sick baby mouse

Hi, I have a baby mouse ,one of a litter of 7(3 other babies died at 1wk) it is 2wks 3days old in the last few days it seems not to be feeding from its mum , is panting eyes not fully open and is not very active.What could be wrong and can I do anything to help it? Thanks in advance.Eve.

Dear Eve,

It sounds to  me like there is a genetic abnormality in the line.  Neither that doe, nor the father, nor any of the babies should  be bred,

There is nothing to do with a pup who won't eat, that would be called a lethal gene.

I hope it passes quickly. Dying of starvation is not pleasant :( :( if you can get it put to sleep it would be kind.

Very sorry. I hope the remaining 6 stay healthy.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut