Mice/Mouse is bloating and not moving

QUESTION: Hi I have a male mouse and two females. The male I had in his own cage and I just found him super bloated, not moving around, and his back by his neck is very arched. Just yesterday he seemed fine and was moving around. I don't have money to take him to the vet, I just gave him some bread soaked in milk because I read somewhere that it would help.  Is there ANYTHING I can do??

ANSWER: Dear Amanda,

That sounds simply awful. All I can say is I hope he passes soon, because he is in a very bad way. Are you sure you can't get a vet to just euthanize him for not so much money? How about a (kill) shelter?

I would give him a drop of children's liquid ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. Also I believe you can get a liquid form of something like Gas-X. There is a possibility that one drop of that also every 4-6 hours would help.

The gas may be from an intestinal blockage, and it may even get better sand then get worse and kill him. The arched back I do not know.

I so wish I could help.

QUESTION: Well I rubbed his tummy a little and gave him that bread soaked in milk and held him for a very long time and he is acting normal now. I suspect it'll happen again, I just hope I can fix him every time.

At least he is ok right now. Rubbing him was a good idea. I would have said to give a massage for the blockage and the gas but I was worried about it hurting him if there was something with his back. So it helped.

Holding him for a long time is the right thing. That means a lot to a sick or dying mouse. It also helps them get their strength up.

Best wishes and strength to him and you.

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut