Mice/5 baby mice

The babies
The babies  
I work at a pet store and while cleaning under a sink, we found 5 baby mice in a nest. our manager was going to literally throw them out so i took them home. we have kmr, a heating pad, and bedding for them. some act fine, but there is one or two that are just getting weaker. From what i can tell, they look to be just under two weeks old. do you have any suggestions for me? We feed them every 2/3/4 hours but sometimes they wont have anything to do with the syringe.

Hi Riley,

Oh my goodness they are beautiful!  The best thing I can recommend is to try stimulating the genitals of ones who will not eat to help them potty (with a moist q-tip/cotton swab), as sometimes their systems need a little help getting started, and to experiment with different feeding positions.  Sometimes you can puddle a little KMR in the creases of your palm (as long as they don't get super messy) and they may be interested in licking it up themselves.  I think you are pretty spot on about the age, as I was going to guess around 10-12 days from the photo.

This link is great for both orphaned mice and rats (because it is also for rats, the numbers on feeding times may need adjusted to better fit your pup's schedule):

Unfortunately, raising orphaned pups can be very, very difficult.  Even when everything is done perfectly you may still have some losses - it is just really tough to do a momma mouse's job!  You may be able to ask for help from a local vet who work with mice, local rescues (they may not do mice but they MIGHT know somebody who does), or even wildlife rehabilitators (if they work with rodents).  You can also hunt around for local mouse breeders, as most have experience with orphaned litters and might be able to help you troubleshoot if there is anything you can change, but it sounds like you really are doing a wonderful job.

Best of luck, and please let me know if I can help anymore!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications