Mice/Mice Food and Gender

Hi! I was just wondering what brand of mouse food you feed you mice or if you make your own, the "recipe". Also I was wondering if its possible to keep to male mice together, thanks! :)

Hi Alexis,

I personally feed my mice Mazuri lab blocks, supplemented with healthy treats.  I recommend (and have used) any commercial mouse diet, whether mix or block, which is specifically labeled for mice or "mice and rats" - these have the most beneficial combination of nutrients and vitamins that other small rodent mixes (such as those for hamsters, gerbils, etc.) do not necessarily contain.  If you are interested in making your own recipe it is certainly possible, but will take a great deal of research and care to be sure you are providing them with everything they need.  Let me know if you are interested in doing so and I can point you toward some great references.

I do not recommend keeping male mice together.  In very rare cases, such as siblings with particularly calm temperaments or excellent breeding, males MAY get along.  However, in the vast majority of cases they do not, and simply being around another male's hormones and urine can be enough to stimulate a strong, prolonged stress response.  Even if males do seem to get along at first, it can literally change overnight, and males who begin fighting will typically fight to the death.  That sort of risk just isn't worth it in my personal opinion, but males will be very happy living alone with just you to play with!

If I can help with anything else, let me know!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications