Mice/Mouse Breed

I recently purchased a new pet mouse, Johnlock, after losing my previous Satin to a mamory tumor, he seems perfectly happy and is willing to play all the time, however the owner didn't know the breed of Johnlock, he has really short fur that is kinda fluffy and he's pale grey with white patches and a white belly, he also has red/pink eyes, would it be possible for you to tell me his breed please?? And he chirps/chatters all the time, is this normal??
Thankyou in advance,
Alyxis Jayne.

Hi Alyxis,

Mice don't really have "breeds" per se like dogs or cats do, but they do have different coat types and colors (as I am sure you noticed with your previous satin).  However, if Johnlock was not specifically bred from one line or another of mice, he may have kind of a mix of genetics that don't quite fit into any one standard!  If you send a picture it would be much more helpful in trying to figure out what he is.

I'm not sure what you mean by fluffy, but it sounds like he has a short haired coat type.  A light grey with pink eyes can be a dove, or more rarely, a silver.  The white patches are called white spotting.  Therefore, the best I can determine from your description is that he is probably a spotted, short haired, dove mouse.  Here is a great description of different coats, colors, and the genetics behind them:

I'm also not certain what you mean by chirping and chattering.  If he is clicking or chirping when he breathes, this can be a sign that he has or once had an upper respiratory infection.  However, if he just squeaks now and then when startled or playing, he may just be speaking to you!

I'd love to help more, so if you need clarification or help with anything else, just let me know!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications