Mice/Mouse colors

Hi, well my female mouse just had her second litter of babies. i was wondering if all the babies will be the same color as her. all the mice in the first litter were the same color but someone told me in there second litter the colors will be different. Others say the babies are always the same color as the doe.

Hi Hadley,

There is a lot that goes into determining what colors the baby mice will be.  The colors may be different or the same, just depending on whose genetics are dominant, and what genetics were passed on by the father.  If you let me know what color she is, what color the father is, and what color the father of the first litter was and the results of their offspring, I can help you get started on figuring it out.  Of course, the best way to tell will be to wait a few days!  Their coats start to really come in around 7-10 days.

Here is a link explaining color genetics in mice - it goes into a lot of detail, so if you have any questions, please let me know and I'd be excited to help.  Mouse colors are a really fun topic!!

The genetics:
The varieties (with what genes cause them):

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications