Mice/Mouse Hurt

I recently bought two white mice and my little daughter tried to hold one of them by its tail. That got about one-fourth of its tail skin torn right off. He is constantly licking the bleeding tail and every time he does it, he squeaks in pain. What can I do to help here?

Hi Anurag,

I am so sorry to hear that!  Unfortunately, this is a complex injury that can be difficult to heal or to keep clean.  Depending on the severity of the damage there may not be much you can do.  Either the skin will grow back, if it is simply torn in several places, or the tail tip may necrotize and fall off (it would turn black as this happened, but the remaining tail will heal into a nub and be fine).  Unfortunately this also opens the body up to a potentially serious infection, so if at all possible, I would recommend starting him immediately on an antibiotic.

Your very best course of action if possible is to take him in as soon as you can to a veterinarian who works with pocket pets like mice.  A vet can get you the most appropriate medication much faster and can give you a one-on-one evaluation of the injury and how best to handle it.  Of course, sometimes a vet is simply not possible, in which case I would recommend tetracycline.  You should be able to find this at your local pet shop in the fish section.  Instructions on how to use it can be found here:

Unfortunately, without a vet's help, there is nothing I can recommend for pain or to calm him and reduce licking.  I am again very sorry for what happened - it must have been very scary to all involved!  Hopefully his tail heals up well and quickly, but if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications