Mice/Will my mouse mourn the death of her cage mate?

Hi, I have 2 female fancy mice Piper and Indigo I bought them together so they were very close. Indigo passed away today and I am wondering what to expect, will Piper mourn her loss and if so what should I watch out for? They are only about 5 months old so should I get another mouse for Piper? Any information you can give me will be very appreciated. Thank you.

Dear Kayla,

I am sorry for your loss of Indigo :((

Yes, Piper is sad. And she is alone. These two things can lead to depression, illness, or mites. This is why I always recommend three females. Then when one dies, the others do mourn but the aren't alone.

Get two mice, the younger the better. When you put them together, do it in a clean cage and dab their necks and rumps with REAL vanilla flavoring. There may be some chasing and squeaking, and that is fine; no one is getting hurt. The only reasons you would have to separate them would be:

1. If there is blood.
2. If someone is depressed, lethargic, doesn't want to do anything.
3. If anyone is being blocked from accessing the water bottle, food, nest, or wheel.
4. If the chasing and squeaking is pretty much nonstop, or continues to be serious for several weeks.

Enjoy your little critters :)

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut