Mice/Ruby and Rogue (doxy and itching)

Hi Natasha,

Thank you so much for the links. I was able to find a different vet nearby, who put them on a regimen of Ciproflax and Doxycycline. She also put them on medicine for mites, because Ruby recently started pulling her hair out. She has never had any problems before, and I am still on their original bag of Carefresh bedding. I thought maybe she could be allergic to Doxycycline because she only started pulling her hair out after being on it. I will see if she improves and call the vet again if I need to. Judging by the Fun Mouse site, it looks a lot more like barberism than mites. Please let me know if you have any ideas as to what is going on! I am sure I could call the vet, I just wanted to see if you knew anything about Doxycycline allergies in mice.

I hope you're doing well! You advice has been doing wonders for me and my little girls!

All the best,

Dear Lindsay,

Yes, one side effect from doxycycline is itching.

Barbering looks sometimes subtly different from the hair loss from scratching. If you look closely, the fur will be cut off, at the skin or above, rather than pulled out.

Also, you can watch her and see if she is scratching.

If it does seem to be scratching, the vet can work with you to see if another antibiotic may work instead. Your vet outranks me : )

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut