Mice/weird bump after female gave birth

bump on mouse butt
bump on mouse butt  
One of my female mice had a litter of babies and now has a red bump coming from her back area.  The area is bleeding a little.  Could this be the afterbirth?  Should I do anything about it?

I am sorry I did not see this sooner, Hadley,

It is difficult to tell from the picture what this bump is.  Afterbirth is placenta, and is delivered after each pup.  This is usually eaten directly from the vagina while she is giving birth, so you would not get much of a chance to see it unless you interrupted the birthing process.  The bump could also be a prolapse, which may need veterinary medical attention, or even another pup trying to come out.  How long ago did she have the pups before you noted the bump?  Giving birth to a litter may take up to several hours to complete, especially if there are complications.  If the bump is still there or if her health is at all decreased I would strongly recommend visiting a local veterinarian who works with pocket pets like mice - bring the entire cage in without disturbing her if at all possible.

Best of luck and I hope she is alright,

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications