Mice/baby mice

QUESTION: Ok so my fiance brought home two baby mice he saved from work i instantly fell in love with them i want to take care of them since I'm sad to inform the mother and father are dead in a mouse trap near where he found the first baby mouse. Idk how old they are they are about an inch long not including the tail and are covered in soft fur they can open thier eyes. do i need to find some kind of mothers milk for mice or would they eat oats and grains? What out of human food is sade for them cuz i won't have money for a couple of days :( please help me with my adopted babies i really want them to make it and live a long happy healthy life

ANSWER: Hi Lizzy,

I cannot guess at their age from your description, except that they are likely over 10-12 days old.  Here is a chart for the first two weeks of growth in house mice that might help you guess:  You could also try asking for help from local veterinarians, pet shops, breeders, rescues, and even wildlife rehabilitators who work with small mammals.  Not only can they help you figure out the age, but hey also may be able to help you with feeding and supplies.

This article goes into wonderful detail on how to hand raise mouse and rat pups:  Until about 4 weeks of age, or as soon as they figure out how to use a water bottle, they will need kitten or puppy milk replacement to keep them fed and hydrated.  How often they need fed depends on their age, but they will usually let you know, and nap between feedings.  Once they start walking around on their own confidently, they will start to explore solid foods.  You will need to continue providing milk, however, because they cannot get all their nutrients and hydration from solid foods until they can hydrate themselves.  Some good starter foods for them to explore include cheerios, stale bread (you can soak it in water, too, but be sure to remove it after a few hours to keep it from mildewing), or kitten or puppy kibble.  You may also be able to provide small bits of fruit like apple or banana, but too much can cause loose stools, so be careful with fruits.  As soon as you can, purchase or try to find donated a bag of mouse mix, as this is the best thing for them to be eating hands down once they can eat on their own.  The sooner you can rig a water bottle for them, too, the better, so they can start exploring it as soon as possible.

Raising mouse pups on your own is hard no matter what the situation is, and it is not always successful.  I know you are in love with them, but if you find yourself struggling, please do not hesitate to ask your local resources for help.  Even if they can't help you themselves, they may know someone who does or be able to point you in the right direction.

I hope I helped, but please let me know if I can answer any other questions or clarify anything.  Best of luck, and thank you to you and your fiance for rescuing these little sweethearts!

QUESTION: They have been eatting a whole grain flake cerial and i spoil them when they are good with a lil bit of peanut butter or a piece of popcorn they drink the water i have in a plate i have called around easley south carolina still no one to give me an age i haven't asked about free samples or donations of mouse food but i make sure what I'm feeding them isfull grain so as to not.make them obese any idea if they would enjoy the hamster tubes if that would be a good investment for them for exersise and entertainment?

Mice can make playtoys out of anything, including cardboard toilet paper or paper towel tubes, empty tissue boxes with the plastic removed, or even castles made out of hot glue and popsicle sticks.  The first thing I think that would need investing would be a food mix made specifically for mice and rats - there is no way for them to get the vitamins and nutrients they require out of just cereal and the occasional treat, so this is crucial for being able to keep them healthy and well.

Water bowls do work, but mice tend to dump them, and if you are using an absorbent bedding this can cause the whole cage to become wet and can chill them very quickly.  Young mice can freeze to death this way, as they are not very good at maintaining and controlling their own body temperature until they are older.

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications