Mice/cat attack

My mouse got attacked by a cat and idk but he has a gash on the back of his head his skin tore and like Ipput triple antibiotic ointment and I have no money for a vet so what else can I do to help my poor Winston

Hi Jackie,

There is no way for me to tell from here how serious the injuries may be, so it is imperative that you find a way to get a local expert's assistance in treating his injuries.  I am not a vet, and since I am not there with Winston, all I know is what you have told me.  You may be able to try contacting your local pet shops, rodent breeders, animal rescues and shelters, wildlife rehabilitators, and veterinarians if anyone knows a low-cost option, can help you pro bono, or can help you personally with his injuries.  Even if they cannot help, they frequently know somebody who can.  If you have a teaching veterinary hospital near you, they may be able to help Winston as a special case, but this is fairly rare.

In the meantime it is crucial to note any persistent bleeding, swelling, or changes in behavior.  Winston needs to be kept warm, so if the room he is in now gets cold during the night or anything like that, be sure he is some place with a constant temperature and warm bedding.  You can also try putting him on a general antibiotic like tetracycline, and here are some wonderful instructions, but I would advise that you skip the initial dose part (making a paste and smearing it on him so he can get some faster) as his mobility may be impaired from the location of his wound:

If you have any other questions, please let me know.  I hope he is doing well and healing normally, and that there were no more serious injuries!  Best wishes!

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications