Mice/First mouse found

Hi Tamarah,

I previously sent you a question about my captured 3 mice.  Well before those ones my fiance caught another and first thing i thought was she was a pregnant female but can't say for sure so will post picture see what you can tell me about her.  We don't have her anymore bit have loved to keep her. I did research online and i came across the same mouse picture color of it.  They said it was a cinnamon mouse.  I guess what i want to know was it female was she pregnant and was she a cinnamon mouse and would she have been a pet or wild mouse?

Hi Stacey,

She looks like she could be pregnant, but she could also simply be obese.  The reddish coat color is caused by a gene called yellow, and can result in mice of all shades from yellow to orange to a very reddish, rusty orange color.  This is frequently, but not always, a variation on the agouti coloration most wild mice have, which is also very common in pet mice.  The short answer is that it's impossible to guess if she was a pet or not, but she certainly could have been.

The cinnamon coloring you are referring to is defined as having ticking throughout the coat:  From the photograph, it looks like she also could have been fawn or red, depending on her eye color and genetics:

I cannot tell you if she was a pregnant female, a non-pregnant female, or a chubby male, because obesity in mice is genetic and highly linked to the red/yellow genetics.  You'd have to find her to figure it out!  :)

Let me know if I can help out with anything else,

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications