Mice/sick mouse

Hi, I know i asked about a red bump on my females rear end a while ago but i couldn't get her to the vet and i got home today and she was in the nest box looking weak. she wasn't moving around a lot and she still has a red bump from her rear end and sometimes it bleeds. she is the most skittish of my mice and hates being handled. usually when i go into the room she hides until i leave but today she just sat there. mallow is housed with 1 other female and that female has 8 babies at the moment. should i move her? should i take her to the vet or do you recommend a certain treatment?
please help I've lost 2 of my past mice from sickness and i really don't want her to die.

Hi Hadley,

The fastest way to help her is to get her to the vet as soon as you can.  Since I do not know what the cause of the problem is, all I would be able to offer would be general treatments to protect her from general infections, but the very most important thing is to find out what the bump is, what caused it, and to help her manage her pain.  The best way to do that the fastest and most accurately is with a professional veterinarian's help.

I would, however, recommend going ahead and moving her right now.  Since we do not know the cause of the bump, and because she is acting sick and in pain, it is best that she be separate from the babies.  Due to the location of her bump, do not try to lift her by her tail - scoop her up when she is resting in a toy or hide and gently move her to a prepared cage with a very soft bedding.

Best wishes,

I can answer questions regarding mice as pets, mouse behavior, color and coat genetics, breeding techniques, and general health questions. I can help with caging and setup, nutrition, social issues, and what to do in most mouse emergencies (such as unplanned litters, injuries, fighting, etc.). I can also assist with questions pertaining to orphaned mouse pups, weaning litters, and questions of mating and birthing. I cannot answer questions about exotic or wild varieties of mice such as spiny or pygmy mice. *****FOR EMERGENCIES, anything requiring immediate medical intervention, PLEASE take your mouse to a professional veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator who works with mice as soon as possible! IMPORTANT RESOURCES: Raising Orphaned Mice: Orphaned Mice Videos: Natasha's Your First Mouse: General Mouse Help: Mouse Info and Exotic Breeds:

I have enjoyed the companionship of mice nonstop since 2004, and spent a year caring for them in a lab where I learned a great deal about their breeding, social needs, and health. I spent a few years breeding them, specifically working with albinos, marked mice, angora mice, and satins. My education never stopped - I am learning something new every day from current and well-established research thanks to the wonderful folks at the Jackson Laboratory, as well as from my wonderful mousey friends online. I also love learning from my terrific questioners here on AllExperts - you folks keep my passion for these amazing animals alive and well!

East Coast Mouse Association - expired, American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association - expired

Partial University for a B.S. in Microbiology, Partial University for a 2-year degree in Veterinary Technology (RVT cert), C.E. classes in pathogens, aseptic technique, genetics, and applications