Mice/Mouse left behind

I was a charity benefit last night where they had a mouse race, after the person who was running it left we found a little black mouse and someone said it was from the races and must have gotten out. We caught it and I brought it home but now I wonder if it is a wild mouse. It is acting quite content in it's cage, not trying to jump out and it's not getting freaked out by my presence even when I put my hand in the cage and touched him and once we caught it he calmed down when I put him next to my body and petted him a bit, but it seems a little small for a pet mouse. Do you have any experience in this?
I don't want to bring in a wild mouse and possibly get sick.

Dear Sarah,

It is just either a young one or a runt. Are you going to keep it as a pet?

If it is a female it needs girlfriends. If it is a male, it lives alone. Males are pretty obvious- they have quite a sac behind. Compare:

That site is also an excellent one for all the information you need about mice!

Enjoy the new world of mice...

Squeaks n giggles,

I can answer questions about raising mice and caring for them as pets, with knowledge from my 38 years of having fancy mice as pets. I have NO MEDICAL TRAINING and you should take a sick mouse to the vet; but if you simply can't, I will try to help you. I LOVE PHOTOS!!! I ALSO LOVE UPDATES! Let me know how the little tyke is doing later on, for better or worse, especially orphans. It also helps me to help the next person. Please first search first: use 'Natasha Mice Mouse' with whatever else your question includes. Or check out these links: **** YOUR FIRST MOUSE (my video; rough draft): **** TEN VIDEOS ON RAISING ORPHANS: **** SEXING MICE: **** And some GREAT MOUSE INFO SITES:

I have had mice for 40 years (since I was 5!). I raised them when I was a child but now I keep all females, and never fewer than three so that if one dies the others are not devastated, because they have each other.

I run Rats and Mice are Awesome on Facebook. The official name is Rats are Awesome.

B.A., M.A., M.A. in Linguistics: Yale University and University of Connecticut